Horse Trader and Livery Stable Owner. Garrett D. Wilson was a noted dealer in horses, who in 1880 opened the “Horseman’s Headquarters” on Main Street, adjacent to the Phoenix Hotel. He conducted many of the noted auctions of thoroughbred and trotters during this period. During the Spanish American War, he supplied all the cavalry mounts for the U. S. Army in Cuba. In 1902, he acted as agent for James Ben Ali Haggan, Nevada silver baron, to purchase the great racehorse Longstreet.
He was a director of the Phoenix National Bank (from 1892 to 1911) and Phoenix & Third National Bank (Vice President 1910 to 1911), Lexington Banking Company (1906 to 1910) and Phoenix & Third Trust Company.
He was an initial stockholder of the Lexington Motor Car Company and served as its Treasurer. His son, Garrett D. Wilson, Jr., also served as the Secretary to the President of the Lexington Motor Car Company.