Reached Lexington: 1857
Route: Lexington to Nicholasville
Cincinnati Southern (1874 – 1881)
Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific (1881 – 1894)
Southern (1894 – 1974)
Norfolk Southern (1974 – Present)
The Lexington & Danville Railroad Company was chartered by the Legislature on March 5, 1850. The Commissioners from Fayette County were Jacob Aston, Henry Bell, Joseph Bryant, John G. Chiles, W. S. Chipley, John Curd, J. C. Darby, Benjamin Gratz, David S. Goodloe, James A. Grinstead, James O. Harrison, Francis K. Hunt, Samuel G. Jackson, J. B. Johnson, William A. Leavy, Samuel P. Letcher, John McMurtry, John Norton, Edward Oldham, Henry C. Payne, Richard Pindell, George Robinson, Ephraim D. Sayre, George W. Sutton, John B. Tilford, Robert Wickliffe, Jr., Owen D. Winn and Phillip E. Yeiser. In addition, commissioners were appointed for Jessamine, Mercer, Boyle and Lincoln Counties. The corporation was authorized to construct a railway from “any eligible point in the town of Danville, thence by such route as they may select, to the city of Lexington.”[i]
As with similar railroad charters, the commissioners were ordered to open the subscription books for five days, from 10 o’clock am to 2 o’clock pm. At their discretion, addition subscription periods could be opened. The firm’s capital stock was authorized at $700,000, or 14,000 shares, with a par value of $50. The corporation would come into existence after the first 3,000 shares were issued.
Subscriptions required that two dollars per share be paid at signing, in either cash or notes negotiable at a local bank. The remaining balance was payable in installments at the discretion of the President and Board of Directors, after thirty days notice. No more than 40 percent could be called during any one year. After completion of ten miles of track, the line was authorized to commence operations.[ii]
In 1851, J. S. Hopkins became President and George C. Schaeffer was selected as Chief Engineer. Schaeffer, a Professor at Centre College, was hired to oversee the mapping and surveying of the route. He resigned in 1853 to become the Principal Examiner of the U. S. Patent Office in Washington.
Map 1852 <Library of Congress>
Enlargement of Map 1852 <Library of Congress>
Enlargement of Map 1852 <Library of Congress>
In 1852, the company purchased roughly nine acres on South Broadway and Lower (Bolivar) Street.[iii] The company located its Lexington depot and locomotive roundhouse there. In 1853, the charter was amended to allow the line to extend from Danville, or by a branch line to Harrodsburg, to the Tennessee line.
In May 1854, General Leslie Combs of Lexington was elected President to replace Hopkins. The Kentucky Statesman newspaper reported “we congratulate the company on making so wise a choice. Gen. Combs will make a most able and efficient officer. We are a little proud of this choice, for Gen. Combs and the editor of this paper were among the very first individuals in the State who were instrumental in awakening public attention to the railroad enterprises now being prosecuted in Kentucky.”[iv]
Stock Certificate, April 1854 <Howard Curry>
In 1854, the company began grading the right-of-way from Lexington to the Kentucky River. At Lexington, the company’s line originated at the end of the Covington & Lexington (later Kentucky Central) Railroad on Dodge Street. The line then headed south, elevated by wooden trestles over Main Street and the Louisville, Frankfort & Lexington Railroad’s tracks, to the other side on Manchester Street (near Cox Street). The line then ran eastward along an embankment to the depot on South Broadway, near Bolivar Street. From the depot, the line curved due south toward Nicholasville. At Nicholasville, the company constructed a large depot, warehouse and stock pens. The line was built to the broad gauge.
From Nicholasville, the line was proposed to continued southwest past Wilmore, toward the Kentucky River (above the confluence of the Dix and Kentucky Rivers, across from Shakertown). After spanning the river, the line turned due south into Danville. At Danville, the line intended to connect with both the Knoxville & Kentucky and the Memphis & Clarksville Railroads (both proposed lines). Connections into the Deep South would be made at Knoxville and Memphis.
As projected, the Lexington & Danville was the critical middle link of a trunk railroad, connecting Cincinnati to southern markets. Today, this route is the north–south mainline for the Norfolk Southern, one of the heaviest traveled rail lines in the county.
At the Kentucky River, the company faced a 200 feet deep gorge. John A. Roebling of New York was hired to design and build the bridge across the river. Specifications called for a suspension bridge 1,236 feet long and 275 feet high. In 1854, Roebling moved to Danville and set up a temporary construction camp on the Jessamine County side.
North Tower of High Bridge, circa 1910s <Foote Collection, Lexington Public Library>
By November 1854, Roebling reported that the “anchorage and stone towers were . . . completed, and the necessary plates and saddles hoisted on the towers; most of the cable wire was delivered, as also the material for the superstructure, that the towers were completed.”[v] The bridge was called “Clay Bridge and Viaduct.”[vi]
During November 1854, the company authorized the issuance of $700,000 in seven percent, first mortgage bonds to finish construction of the first division from Lexington to Nicholasville.[vii] On July 1, 1855, the company raised $70,000 from selling seventy bonds “principally to farmers along the line of the road, including 25 purchased by the County Judge of Jessamine, and some 15 to 20 by the President and two other Directors.” The remaining bonds were unsold.[viii]
In late 1854, the contractors defaulted on their contract, which let to further delays. In August 1855, the company received a judgment from Shoup & DeGraff Contractors for $27,250. An addition judgment against Hungerford & Company, car builders of Maysville, was received for $7,400.[ix]
In 1855, the company’s financial conditions deteriorated rapidity as construction expenses exceeded available funds. These problems forced the postponement of construction on the roadbed and work on the suspension bridge. At this point, the suspension bridge had cost $97,667.23 and grading of the roadbed on the south side of the Kentucky River cost $31,046.26.[x]
On February 1, 1855, the company leased the completed portions of line to the Covington & Lexington Railroad for five years. The Covington & Lexington line was responsible for the operations, including supplying the locomotive, rolling stock and crews, while the company was responsible for the repair and upkeep of the line. This agreement called for gross receipts to be divided.[xi]
In May 1855, General Combs was reelected President.[xii]
In March 1856, the Legislature granted the Lexington & Danville and Covington & Lexington Railroads the privilege of adopting the Kentucky Central Railroad as the operating name of their entire lines. The Covington & Lexington owned slightly less than ten percent of the stock in the Lexington & Danville. Both companies remained separate legal entities, but operated as a single railroad. The lines from Covington to Lexington and from Lexington to Nicholasville were known as the Kentucky Central First and Second Divisions, respectively.
In January 1857, the company cancelled the existing $700,000 in bonds and reissued a reduced $300,000 in new bonds, secured by the 23 mile section of the road, between “Short Street in the city of Lexington and the anchorage of the bridge on the northeast side or cliff on the Kentucky River in Jessamine County.”[xiv] The $70,000 in outstanding bonds were converted into the new issue.
During 1857, a recession began that became known as the “Panic of 1857.” Over the next two years, a number of banks, brokers and railroads failed. In February 1857, the company unsuccessfully attempted to sell the remaining bonds in New York City for a discount of seventy five percent. The company then unsuccessfully attempted to market the bonds in Cincinnati.[xv]
In May 1857, the company placed the bonds into the hands of John G. Brown, of New York City, to market. Brown issued an acceptance (letter of credit) to pay for $15,000 in rails, being shipped from England to New Orleans for the railroad. However, these bonds remained unsold and the company was forced to sue to recover the remaining unsold bonds.[xvi]
In June 1857, the company completed construction of the Second Division into Nicholasville, which opened on Saturday, July 4, 1857. The line was thirteen miles in length. Regular passenger service along the opened line was operated by the Kentucky Central (Covington & Lexington) Railroad. The stage line of Messrs. Irvine & Hawkins provided feeder service to the line at Nicholasville.[xvii]
In April 1858, the company published that the company had a net worth of $222,390, with assets of $320,507 and liabilities of $98,111. However, no cash was listed. The company reported subscriptions of $719,500, with the amount paid in of $694,444.69. Assets were the roadbed, supplies on hand and rolling stock. The company listed its rolling stock as one locomotive, six platform cars, thirty dirt cars and two hand cars. [xviii]
The company at this point proposed selling bonds to existing stockholders, one fifth at closing and the remainder at three, six, nine and twelve months. With the existing economic conditions, the company was unsuccessful in this effort.[xix]
In April 1858, the company reported it had received promises of additional subscriptions from Cincinnati for $100,000. This was conditioned on the long term lease to the Covington & Lexington and using the same broad gauge to allow transfers. Both of which the company met. Once again, economic conditions caused this subscription to fall through.[xx]
During the fall of 1858, financial conditions forced the company into receivership. At this time, the company had completed the grading and built trestles from Nicholasville to the north side of the Kentucky River. Track had been laid from Lexington to beyond Nicholasville. This remained the extent of the line until after the purchase by the Cincinnati Southern fifteen years later.
Broadside, Front Page, April 1858 <University of Alabama>
Broadside, Back Page, April 1858 <University of Alabama>
Enlargement of Broadside <University of Alabama>
Lexington & Danville Railroad Association:
In 1859, the assets of the company were ordered sold at public auction to satisfy the bond holders. James H. McCampbell purchased the assets for $132,150 (the amount of the bonds). McCampbell was bidding on behalf of the newly formed Lexington & Danville Railroad Association. The principal investors were Robert B. Bowler, Leslie Combs, Alexander Stoddard, James H. McCampbell, John A. Roebling, Lewis H. Christman, James A. Grinstead and David Dinton. Bowler was connected with the Kentucky Central (Covington & Lexington) Railroad. The company continued operations as part of the Kentucky Central Railroad.
In 1862, Federal General Ambrose E. Burnside, ordered surveys from Nicholasville to the Cumberland River, in Tennessee. Burnside recruited slaves to began grading the right-of-way. However, by the end of the year Federal forces were in control of Nashville and the Cumberland River valley. Grading was discontinued.[xxi]
In 1862, Fort Clay was built by Federal forces to protect the approaches from the south to Lexington, along Versailles Road. The earthworks overlooked the Lexington & Danville embankments on the southwestern edge of Lexington.[xxii]
In 1863, Federal forces established Camp Nelson along the bluffs of the Kentucky River in Jessamine County. This camp was a major supply depot for armies fighting in Tennessee and Georgia. The Lexington & Danville line was used to supply the camp, with the last six miles completed by wagons. The Federal army planned, but never completed, on extending the line into the camp.
During 1867, the company directors included Leslie Combs (President), John B. Bowman and John S Wilson of Lexington, C. E. Bowman of Danville, J. E. Thompson of Harrodsburg, David Sinton of Cincinnati and Tucker Woodson of Nicholasville.[xxiii]
On April 4, 1874, the still incomplete Lexington & Danville Railroad was sold for $300,000 to the Cincinnati Southern Railroad.[xxiv]
Cincinnati Southern Railway:
After the Civil War, Cincinnati was effectively cut out from a large portion of Southern trade, due primarily to the lack of a railroad connection. At the time, the Ohio River was not bridged at any point by a permanent structure. Louisville, with its river wharves and Louisville & Nashville connections, dominated the trade with the mid and lower South.
In 1869, the City of Cincinnati established the Cincinnati Southern Railroad, a trunk line from Cincinnati, through Lexington, to Chattanooga. Cincinnati was the majority stockholder.
After heated debates in Frankfort, the legislature finally approved construction of the line in 1872. During the debate two Senators exchanged blows on the Senate floor.[xxv] In May 1873, William B. Emmal opened the subscription books in Lexington for stock in the Cincinnati Southern Railroad.[xxvi]
On April 4, 1874, the Cincinnati Southern acquired the Lexington & Danville Railroad for $300,000.[xxvii] The Cincinnati Southern followed the old Lexington & Danville mainline from Lexington to the Kentucky River. Utilizing the old roadbed, the construction crews quickly laid new rails and ballast along the line. In April 1874, grading started on the railroad in Scott County, north of Georgetown, toward Cincinnati.[xxviii] In March 1876, the last mile of track was finished in Fayette County.[xxix] In October 1876, the Cincinnati Southern finished the line from Cincinnati to the Kentucky River, a distance of roughly 100 miles. The last rail was laid in Lexington on November 28th, connecting the new mainline with the old Lexington & Danville line on South Broadway.[xxx]
In February 1877, a passenger station was built on South Broadway, near the fairgrounds. The company continued to use the depot on South Broadway, at Bolivar for freight service.
To cross the Kentucky River, the Cincinnati Southern selected the same site of the proposed suspension bridge. A new bridge was designed by Charles S. Smith, of the Baltimore Bridge Company, using steel girders supported by two piers to span the river. Completed in February 1877, the bridge was 1,125 feet long and 275 feet above the river. At the time, the bridge was the longest cantilever bridge in the world and the highest bridge over a navigable stream. The bridge became known as High Bridge. In September 1879, President Rutherford B. Hayes dedicated the bridge.[xxxi]
High Bridge Station, with masonry tower built by the Lexington & Danville, circa 1890s
On July 23, 1877, the Cincinnati Southern operated the first passenger train on its tracks from Cincinnati, through Lexington, to Junction City. [xxxii] In February 1880, the line was completed to Chattanooga, Tennessee.[xxxiii] During the summer months, the railroad offered special excursions to High Bridge for $1.00 fare round trip. At High Bridge, the railroad built a dance and amusement stand, boating docks and swimming facilities. The line would continue these excursions until the 1940s.[xxxiv]
High Bridge, in 1929 the towers were demolished when the line was double tracked and the stone bases were used for the foundation of the new bridge
Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railroad:
In October 1881, this route was leased to the newly chartered Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railroad. The Queen & Crescent Route was established by an association of lines from Cincinnati (the Queen City) to New Orleans (the Crescent City) and Shreveport. The system included the Alabama Great Southern, New Orleans & Northwestern, Alabama & Vicksburg and Vicksburg, Shreveport & Pacific Railways.[xxxv]
Originally built to broad gauge, the line was converted to standard gauge in 13 hours in 1886.[xxxvi]
Southern Railway Company:
In 1894, the Southern Railway Company was created with the consolidation of thirty railroads into the new corporation. This consolidation was led by J. P. Morgan, of Drexel, Morgan & Company of New York. The principal lines included the Richmond & Danville Terminal Railroad and the East Tennessee, Virginia & Georgia Railroad (which leased the Louisville Southern Railroad). The Queen & Crescent Route operated as part of the newly organized company. In 1917, after additional consolidations the Queen & Crescent name was discontinued.[xxxvii]
Cincinnati Southern crossing at Versailles Road (near High Street), circa 1910 <University of Kentucky>
Corporate Line of the City of Lexington, at the junction of the Cincinnati Southern and Louisville Southern Railways, near Versailles Road, circa 1910 <University of Kentucky>
On February 7, 1906, the South Broadway Station was destroyed by fire, with the loss estimated at $20,000. A new two-story brick station was constructed in 1908 on the site.
On January 2, 1911, the Carolina Special made its first run, from Cincinnati, through Lexington, to Charleston.[xxxviii] It was soon followed by the Ponce de Leon and the Royal Palm, both on the Cincinnati to Jacksonville, Florida route. All three were Pullman passenger trains. In addition, regular passenger trains operated from Cincinnati, by way of Lexington, to New Orleans and other southern cities.
In 1912, the Blue Grass Special began running between Cincinnati and Lexington. By 1920, sixteen Southern passenger trains operated daily through Lexington. These trains were during the morning the Blue Grass Special, Chattanooga – Cincinnati Express, Ponce de Leon, Cincinnati Special and Carolina Special and afternoon the Local Express, Queen & Crescent Limited and Royal Palm.
In May 1913, the Southern abandoned the old Lexington & Danville connection with the Kentucky Central Railway, between Manchester Street and Dodge Street. They removed the trestles over Main Street and the Louisville & Nashville tracks. This cleared the way for the new Cemetery Viaduct.[xxxix]
Southern’s Royal Palm (Chicago to Jacksonville) passenger train, circa 1910 <Nollau Collection, University of Kentucky>
The Blue Grass Special was discontinued in 1932.[xl] In the 1960s, Southern began abandoning passenger services. During 1968, the Carolina, Ponce de Leon and Royal Palm Specials were all discontinued. The last passenger Southern train in Lexington (from Somerset) operated on January 28, 1970.
Southern freight train in yards, circa 1910 <Nollau Collection, University of Kentucky>
Northbound Southern passenger train entering Lexington, circa 1910 <Nollau Collection, University of Kentucky>
Southern passenger train, double headed at Donerail, circa 1932 <Battaile Collection, Lexington Public Library>
In 1974, the Southern became part of the Norfolk Southern Corporation. In 2005, the old Lexington & Danville tracks from Manchester Street, to the junction with the mainline near Virginia Avenue, were abandoned. The remaining portion of the Lexington & Danville, from Lexington to the Kentucky River, is still in heavy use by Norfolk Southern as their mainline.
First Diesel Locomotive in Lexington, at South Broadway station, circa 1942, locomotive being inspected by railway officials <Battaile Collection, Lexington Public Library>
At Donerail, Southern locomotive traveling over 70 mph toward Lexington, 1943 <Coleman – Transylvania>
Stations, Depots and Yards:
Southern Freight Depot on South Broadway, at Bolivar Street, north side of tracks, 1914 <Nollau Collection, University of Kentucky>
Freight Depot – constructed around 1855 by the Lexington & Danville Railroad, on south side of South Broadway and Bolivar. The station served both passenger and freight traffic. In addition, the company located its roundhouse adjacent to the depot. Both were demolished around 1877, when the Southern Railway built freight depots on both sides of the tracks. Around 1910, Southern rebuilt the freight depot, on the south side, for Less Than Car Load (“LCL”) freight. This depot served until around the 1950s, when LCL freight was lost to the trucking industry. Afterward, Brumfield Hay & Grains used the facility. The old mainline was removed in 2006 as part of extending Newtown Pike.
Southern Freight Depot, north side
Southern Freight Depot on South Broadway, at Bolivar Street, south side of tracks, 1914 <Nollau Collection, University of Kentucky>
Passenger Station – was located on South Broadway, near the fairgrounds (now the Red Mile Track). The first station was built in February 1877 as a passenger station for the Cincinnati Southern Railway. The railroad also built a roundhouse on the site. In November 1891, the roundhouse was destroyed by fire.[xli]
First Southern Passenger Station <EIT>
A new two-story brick station was built closer to Broadway during the summer of 1892. The old depot was demolished during the fall of 1892. The new station was, on February 7, 1906, destroyed by fire.
Second Southern Station, 1898, loading troops during Spanish-American War <University of Kentucky>
Third Southern Station, built in 1908
In 1908, a third depot was built on the site of the second depot. This depot’s layout consisted of a general waiting room (in the front left), men’s smoking room along the right (in the turret), a doorway for the coach entrance and the ladies waiting room at the rear. The second floor consisted of offices. A separate colored waiting room was behind the ticket counter. The station had at its peak over 16 trains per day.
The last passenger train operated during 1970, thereafter the station was used for offices.[xlii] In 1987, South Broadway was rerouted through an underpass to eliminate the grade crossing. The third station was destroyed by fire again in February 1991.
Southern Station taken in subzero weather, circa 1940 <Battaile Collection, Lexington Public Library>
A fourth station was built on the site in 1992, housing offices for the railroad.
Alleghan - a flag stop on the Cincinnati Southern, located near Southland Drive and Nicholasville Road. Named after an antebellum mansion, located on the southwest corner. This stop was used for passengers transferring from the Lexington streetcar line (which terminated there) and the railroad. In 1910, the Lexington Interurban Railway (later Kentucky Traction & Terminal Company) completed its line to Nicholasville and the stop was discontinued.
Donerail Station, 1944 <Coleman – Transylvania>
Donerail - a station on the Cincinnati Southern, between Lexington and Georgetown, on Ironworks Pike in northern Fayette County. This station was located in the middle of a number of famous thoroughbred farms.
Greendale - a flag stop on the Cincinnati Southern, between Lexington and Georgetown, located on Greendale Pike and Spurr Road. A siding was used for the shipment of racehorses.
Sandersville - also know as Hillenmeyer, was the site of a small village on Sandersville Pike, on the Cincinnati Southern Railroad, between Georgetown and Lexington. The Commonwealth Distillery operated here from 1880 to 1901. In 1915, the distillery was converted into warehouses for Hillenmeyer Nursery.
 Known as the Lexington & Danville Railroad Company (1851 – 1859) and Railroad Association (1859 - 1874). Operated under the trade name, Kentucky Central Railroad, Second Division, from 1856 until after the Civil War.
 During 1860, the Lexington & Southern Kentucky Railroad was organized to complete the construction from Nicholasville, across the Kentucky River, to Danville and then the Tennessee line. Shortly after the Civil War, the company was renamed the Cincinnati, Lexington & East Tennessee Railway. Nothing came of these corporations.
 Roebling at the same time designed a suspension bridge across the Niagara River, to connect New York Central and Great Western Railway of Canada. In March 1855, the Niagara suspension bridge opened. It was considered a triumph of engineering. Roebling would later build the famous Brooklyn Bridge in New York.
 This site later known as North Tower, would become the High Bridge Station on the Cincinnati Southern.
 The company noted that the “6 per cent bonds heretofore issued, have been withdrawn and burnt.”
 The usual arrangement called for the operating company to receive two-thirds and the line to receive one-third. Details of the lease are not available.
 After Leslie Combs’ death in 1881, the railroad erected on the North Tower a tablet that said:
To The Memory of
Cecil Leslie Combs
Late President of this R. R.
Who Erected These
And Paid For Them
In 1929, the tablet was relocated to the Southern yard in Lexington.
 The Lawrenceburg News reported “in securing the right-of-way, the Cincinnati Southern bought the land on which the towers stood, but not the towers themselves, against which a mechanic’s lien was outstanding under claim that the old Lexington – Danville Company had never fully paid for their erection. In order to clear up the title a court sale was resorted to and Col. E. H. Gaither, attorney for Cincinnati Southern, made a bid of one dollar on the towers. Seeing a chance for speculation, the late Col. Ben Lee Hardin, also a lawyer at the Harrodsburg bar, made a bid of ten dollars and the railroad made no further offer, the towers were knocked off to Col. Hardin. Master of the huge twin towers as he was, Col Hardin began negotiating to sell them to the railroad which would not buy. Then, Col. Hardin notified the road it could not use his towers as moorings for its bridge cables. As the railroad was not using cables in this type of construction, they got out legal papers against Col. Hardin to compel him to remove his towers from the road’s land. As it meant a fortune to tear down the immense towers, Col. Hardin decided it was less expensive to let them stand. So for many years they have been a picturesque landmark topping the Kentucky cliffs, and would now be the property of Col. Hardin’s only heir, Mrs. J. Hal Grimes, of Harrodsburg, had the claim not been barred by the statute of limitations.”
 J. Pierpont Morgan (1837 - 1913) – Banker. His firm of Drexel, Morgan and Company (later J. P. Morgan & Co.) was one of the most powerful banking houses in the world from the 1880s to 1920s. Morgan became dominant in government and railroad financing. In 1894, he consolidated a number of lines into the Southern Railway Company, including the Louisville Southern and Cincinnati Southern Railroads. In 1901, he formed US Steel Corporation, the first billion dollar company.
[i] Acts of Kentucky, 1850, page 408 - 415.
[ii] Acts of Kentucky, 1850, page 408 - 415.
[iii] Deed Book 28, page 109 and Deed Book 28, page 332, Fayette County Clerk’s Office.
[iv] Kentucky Statesman, Lexington, May 16, 1854, page 3, column 2.
[v] Kleber, page 491-92.
[vi] Kentucky Statesman, Lexington, November 24, 1854, page 3, column 3 and Lexington & Danville Railroad Company, “Broadside Circular,” 1858.
[vii] Kentucky Statesman, Lexington, November 17, 1854, page 3, column 4.
[viii] Observer & Reporter, Lexington, April 29, 1858, page 1, column 1 - 2.
[ix] Kentucky Statesman, Lexington, August 21, 1855, page 3, column 3.
[x] “Broadside Circular.”
[xi] Deed Book 33, page 28, Fayette County Clerk’s Office.
[xii] Kentucky Statesman, Lexington, May 11, 1855, page 3, column 3.
[xiii] Kentucky Statesman, Lexington, June 11, 1855, page 3, column 3.
[xiv] Deed Book 33, page 102, Fayette County Clerk’s Office.
[xv] Observer & Reporter, Lexington, April 29, 1858, page 1, column 1 - 2.
[xvi] Observer & Reporter, Lexington, April 29, 1858, page 1, column 1 - 2.
[xvii] Kentucky Statesman, Lexington, June 30, 1857, page 3, column 4.
[xviii] Observer & Reporter, Lexington, April 29, 1858, page 1, column 1 - 2 and “Broadside Circular.”
[xix] Observer & Reporter, Lexington, April 29, 1858, page 1, column 1 - 2.
[xx] Observer & Reporter, Lexington, April 29, 1858, page 1, column 1 - 2.
[xxi] Curry (Leonard), page 70.
[xxii] Coleman, J. Winston, Lexington During the Civil War, Henry Clay Press, Lexington, 1965, page 32 - 33.
[xxiii] Poor, 1868-69, p. 85 – 86 and 1874 – 75, page 556.
[xxiv] Lexington Press, January 21, 1874, page 1, column 1.
[xxv] Curry (Leonard), page 138 – 39.
[xxvi] Lexington Press, May 20, 1873, page 4, column 5 and May 26, 1873, page 4, column 3.
[xxvii] Lexington Press, January 21, 1874, page 1, column 1.
[xxviii] Lexington Press, April 30, 1874, page 4, column 3.
[xxix] Lexington Press, March 10, 1876, page 4, column 2.
[xxx] Lexington Press, October 28, 1876, page 4, column 2 and November 23, 1876, page 4, column 2 and Poor, 1868 – 69, page 379, 1881, page 460 – 62 and page 491 – 92 and 1885, page 494 – 95.
[xxxi] Curry, Howard, High Bridge: A Pictorial History, Feeback Printing, Lexington, 1983, page 21 – 33.
[xxxii] Coleman, page 59.
[xxxiii] Lexington Transcript, December 9, 1879, page 4, column 2, Marshall, William J., e-mail dated January 7, 2009 and Prince, Richard E., Steam Locomotives and Boats: Southern Railway System, Premier Carrier of the South, Green River, Wyoming, 1965, page 35, 39 and 42.
[xxxiv] Lexington Leader, July 23, 1888, page 4, column 5.
[xxxv] Kleber, page 835-36 and Marshall.
[xxxvi] Lexington Daily Press, June 18, 1884, page 3, column 4 and Lexington Transcript, May 22, 1886, page 8, column 5.
[xxxvii] Sulzer, Elmer G., “Kentucky’s Abandoned Railroads – No. 6 – Two Southern Segments,” The Kentucky Engineer, August 1947, page 15 - 21 and Marshall.
[xxxviii] Lexington Morning Herald, January 2, 1911, page 6, column 7.
[xxxix] Lexington Herald, May 14, 1913, page 6, column 6.
[xl] Lexington Leader, July 24, 1932, page 1, column 6 – 7.
[xli] Lexington Morning Transcript, November 7, 1891, page 5, column 6.
[xlii] Coleman, page 61.