Education

The history of public schools in Lexington demonstrates a slow evolution from basic education to higher education, while faced with the economic and political considerations of the times.

In 1831, the City of Lexington was chartered by the Legislature in Frankfort.  The chartered specified that the city would be governed by an elected mayor and twelve councilmen.  The first mayor elected was Charlton Hunt...

During 1873, the legislature in Frankfort restructured the Commonwealth’s schools by separating the schools from the municipal governments.  Instead of appropriations from the city council, the Lexington Board of Education was established as a special taxing district.  The Board collected specified taxes on real estate and then appropriated the funds to operate the schools.  The board was composed of elected...

In 1864, the Kentucky legislature established segregated[1] educational institution, funded from all taxes collected from black taxpayers.  The county sheriff collected the taxes paid by black taxpayers and deposited the funds into a separate “Negro School Fund.”  The fund was managed by a Treasurer, was appointed...

The Fayette County Board of Education was chartered in 1873 to establish public schools in the county.  The county was divided into 41 school districts, each corresponding to a rural voting precinct.  Each district elected its local school trustees and established a small one or two room school for the students in the area.  Funding and resources were limited to the amounts collected in each district.  In...

Following the Second World War, the growth of the population of Lexington and Fayette County led to overcrowding of the existing schools.  During the 1950s, the county school experienced the bulk of this increase with the baby boom and the population growth.  However, during the 1960s, the City of Lexington expanded the city limits, north along Paris Pike, east along Richmond Road and south along Tates Creek Road...

In April 1941, the Lexington Rotary Club held a program regarding the merger of the city and county school systems.  State Superintendent of Public Instruction, John W. Brooker, presented the arguments for and against consolidating the two systems.  Members of both the city and county boards were present....

Arlington Elementary School - formerly a two-room, county school organized in 1899 (located at North Limestone and Arceme Avenue).  The school’s trustees were Valentine McCoy, Mat Asher and B. A. Thompson.  During 1907, the City of Lexington annexed this area into the city limits.  A new city school was built on North Limestone, with the proceeds from the 1908 bond issue.  The school had 191 pupils and cost $75,...

Ashland Elementary School - a city school built in 1916 on North Ashland Avenue.  The school was named after the Ashland Stud Farm, owned by Henry Clay.  Etta B. Coons, Principal, reported “the city continued to grow to the East and portions of the county were incorporated.  The county had built a small frame structure on Ashland Avenue for schools purposes but after this section was taken into the city, the...

Athens School (No. 18) - a two-room, county school located at Athens, a small village along the Boonsboro Road in southeastern Fayette County.  The school was established during the mid-1870s.  In 1912, a new school building replaced the old wooden structure, as part of the county reorganization plan.  The school taught grades 1 to 12.  In 1917, the first graduating class for the high school had one pupil.  In...

Athens-Chilesburg Elementary School - located on the corner of Jouett Creek Drive and Hays Boulevard.  Opened in August 2006, with 600 students, and replaced the old Athens Elementary School.[i]

...

Beaumont Middle School - a county school located at 2080 Georgian Way.  Opened in 1964, the school was named for the thoroughbred farm owned by Hal Price Headley.  The facility underwent complete renovations in 1998.  Enrollment is 950 students.

Booker T. Washington Elementary School - a segregated city school, located on Georgetown Street.  The school opened in 1916, with an enrollment of 216, a teaching principal and six teachers.  The basement had a lunchroom and two rooms (used for manual training).  During the First World War, two adjacent lots were acquired for a playground and victory garden.  The food raised in the garden was canned and used...

Bracktown School - a segregated county school, on Leestown Pike in northwestern Fayette County.  The school was established around 1870 and closed during the late 1920s.  Bracktown was a settlement for freed slaves after the Civil War and named for Rev. Fredrick Braxton.

...

Breckinridge Elementary School - a city school located in the Idle Hour Subdivision, at 2101 St Mathilda Drive.  The school was dedicated on December 15, 1963 and was named for Madeline McDowell Breckinridge (well-known philanthropist and great-granddaughter of Henry Clay).  The first principal was Annabelle Brewer (in 1966 she became the first woman to become Assistant Superintendent).  The original building had...

Briar Hill School - a segregated county school, on Briar Hill Road in eastern Fayette County.  The school was closed during the late 1920s.

Briar Hill School, a segregated county school, circa 1901  <1901>

Briar Hill School (No. 7) - a county school located on Brian Hill and Cleveland Roads in eastern Fayette County.  Around 1877, a two-room county school was located in the area.  In 1895, a new frame schoolhouse was built as a primary school (grades 1 to 8).  In 1920, a new consolidated building was built with two classrooms (for four grades each).  In 1934, the Work Progress Administration funded construction on...

Brighton School (No. 16) - a county school located on Todds Road in eastern Fayette County.  The school opened around 1873 and closed during the 1910s, with the consolidation.

Brighton School, circa 1901   <1901>

...

Bryan Station High School - a county school located on Eastin Road, adjacent to Bryan Station Junior High School.  The school was built in 1958.  In January 2007, the high school moved into a new building adjacent to the original site.  It is the largest high school facility in the state of Kentucky.  The school’s mascot is the Defender, in reference to the defense of the settlement during the American...

Bryan Station Junior High School - a county school built on Wickland Drive, in the Hermitage Hills Subdivision (Bryan Station Pike) in northern Fayette County.  The school was named after Bryan Station, a pioneer settlement (which during the American Revolution successfully resisted a siege by the British and their Indian allies).  The school’s mascot is the Defenders.  The school was completed in late 1932 and...

Bryan Station School (No. 11) - a county school located off Bryan Station Pike in eastern Fayette County.  The school was one of the original county schools founded around 1873.  The school was closed during the 1930s and later replaced by a new high school.

Bryan Station...

Bullock School - a city school opened on September 4, 1907, on North Ashland at Clay Avenue.  This school operated for a few years as a temporary school to meet expanding enrollment.

Cadentown School - a segregated county school located on Liberty Road, at Todds Road in eastern Fayette County (near Richmond Road).  The school housed grades 1 to 6.  The school was established around 1873 and closed after the Second World War.  Cadentown was a settlement for freed slaves after the Civil War.  The town and school were named after Owen Caden.

...

Cane Run School (No. 10) - a county school on Newtown Pike, closed during 1910 when the new Greendale School opened.  The school was also known as Newtown Pike School.

Cardinal Valley Elementary School - a county school located in the Cardinal Valley Subdivision, at 218 Mandalay Road.  Cardinal Valley opened in September 1962.  In 1966 and 1986, an addition was added and the building renovated, respectively.

Cardinal...

Cassidy Elementary School - a city school located at 1125 Tates Creek Road, built in 1935 by the Works Progress Administration (adjacent to the site for Morton Junior High School).  The ten-acre plot was once part of Ashland Stud Farm, owned by Henry Clay.  The school was named for former Superintendent M. A. Cassidy.  The school opened on September 1935, with six classrooms, a large kindergarten, library, small...

Cave Spring School - a county school located on Walnut Hill and Richmond Road, about 8 miles southeast of Lexington.  The school operated from the early 1870s until the late 1920s.

Cave Spring School   <1901>

...

Chilesburg School (No. 3) - a county school located on the Cleveland Pike in eastern Fayette County.  The school was closed during the 1910s, when the county school system was consolidated.  The school opened around 1877.

Chilesburg School, circa 1901   <1901>

Church Street School - in 1866, Rev. Fredrick Braxton opened the first “colored school” in Lexington in the “Ladies Hall,” at the Methodist Church on Main and Church Streets.  Over 300 students were enrolled.[i]  The building was purchased with fund raised by black women, who spent the prior year raising funds for...

Clays Mill Elementary School - a county school located on Clays Mill Road.  The school was opened on September 1, 1954, with 724 students.  The school cost $677,680 and was located on 15 acres.  In 1958, six classrooms were added.  The school was renovated in 1983, and 2012.

...

Coletown School – a segregated county school, that offered instruction for grades 1 to 5.  The school was located near Coletown, on Walnut Hill Pike, at DeLong Road in southern Fayette County.  The tiny settlement housed a number of freed slaves.  The school was closed after the Second World War.

Constitution School (Colored School No. 2) - a segregated city school located on Constitution Street.  In January 1883, the new Constitution School opened with 100 pupils.[i]  This school served grades 1 to 8.  In 1903, a new building was erected on the site, with the students temporarily housed across the street...

Corral Street School - a segregated city school located on Corral Street.  In January 1871, the school opened with 93 pupils in an old frame house.  This school served grades 1 to 8.  The school was closed around 1892.

Coyle School (No. 23) - was located in northern Fayette County.  The school was also known as Coyle’s School.

Crawford Middle School - located at 1813 Charleston Drive.  Crawford opened in 1968 and named for Dr. and Mrs. A. B. Crawford.  Dr. Crawford served as the principal at both Bryan Station and Lafayette High School, while Mrs. Crawford taught at Linlee High School (and later worked as an attendance officer).[i]...

Davidson School (City School No. 5) - a city school established in 1892 on Bolivar Street, using the old residence of the city workhouse’s manager.  The school was named after Mayor J. Hull Davidson.  In 1903, the school closed and was replaced by the new Maxwell School.[i]

...

Deep Springs Elementary School - a county school located at 1919 Brynell Drive.  The school opened in September 1963, with 636 pupils.  In 1965, eight classrooms and a library were added.  The school was remodeled during the 1988-89.[i]

...

Dixie Elementary School - a county school located at 1940 Eastland Parkway, on the north side of Lexington.  The school opened in September 1966, with 680 students and a non-graded format.  The school was extensively renovated in 1999.[i]

...

Donerail School (No. 28) - a county school on Iron Works Pike, near Georgetown Road.  One of the original county schools, built around 1873 and closed during 1910 (when the new Greendale School opened).  Donerail was a small community of farm workers from the surrounding horse farms.

...

Douglas High School - segregated county school on Price Road, at Chiles Avenue.  The school opened in 1929 and named for Fredrick Douglas.  The school had five teachers, with 200 pupils in grades 1 to 12.  The building contained eight classrooms.  In 1935, a home economics building was added.  Between 1936 and 1948, the school housed grades 1 to 10.  In 1948, a new building was erected on the front of the lot and...

Dudley School (City No. 3) - a city school was created in 1851 on the northwest corner of Mill and Maxwell Streets, in a large residence.  This school was named after Dr. Benjamin W. Dudley, of Transylvania University.  The school board resolution indicated Dudley was “a prominent surgeon of Lexington . . . . who was very much interested in the public schools of the city.”  The school was located on the south...

Dunbar (Paul Laurence) High School - a high school located on Man-O-War Boulevard in southwestern Fayette County.  Opened in 1990, with an enrollment of 2,200.  The school was named after the famous black poet, Paul Laurence Dunbar.[1]

...

Dunbar (Paul Lawrence) High School - a segregated city school, located at 545 North Upper Street.  Named after Paul Lawrence Dunbar, a famous 19th century black poet.  The school was built in 1922 and opened in 1923.  The school had three different principals: W. H. Fouse (1923-1938), P. L. Guthrie (1938-1966) and Clara Wendell Stitt, (1966-1967).  In 1931, Dunbar was one of eight schools in the south to receive...

Duncan School (City No. 6) - a city school established in 1894, utilizing an old residence on northeast corner of West Second Street, west of Bruce Street.  The school was named after Mayor Henry T. Duncan.  This school operated temporarily for three years to meet overcrowding.

E. Belle Jackson

1848- 1942

Eliza or Isabelle (Belle) Mitchell was born December 31 1848 in Perryville, KY and raised in Danville, KY. Her parents, Mary and Monroe Mitchell, purchased their freedom before her birth.  Belle...

East Hickman School (No. 4) - a county school located on Tates Creek Road, at Walnut Hill in southern Fayette County.  This school was one of the first established around 1873.  The school was closed during the 1910s.

East Hickman School, a county school, circa 1901  ...

Eastside Technical Center - located at 2208 Liberty Road.  Eastside Technical Center is a vocational and technical school, which provided training in computer programming, horticulture, video broadcasting, automotive repair and homeland security.

...

Edythe J. Hayes Middle School - located at 260 Richardson Place.  The school was named after Edythe Jones Hayes[1], an Assistant Superintendent of the Fayette County Schools.  The facility opened in the fall of 2004.

...

Elmendorf School (No. 22) - a county school location on Paris Pike, near the famed Elmendorf Farm (owned by James Ben Ali Haggin).  The school operated for roughly twenty years, from around 1900 to 1920.  The school was also known as the Alberti School  and Haggin School.

...

Faulconer High School - a county school opened to consolidate the county schools during 1916.  The school was named after Nannie Faulconer, Superintendent of the Fayette County Schools.

New Faulconer High School, 1916   <Faulconer>

...

Forest Hill School (Colored School No. 4) - a segregated city school opened in September 1907, on Georgetown and Newtown Pikes.  The school was a rented five-room building, heated by fireplaces in each room.  The school was closed in 1915, when the new Russell High School was built.[i]

 

...

Fort Springs School - a segregated county school located on Versailles Road and Fort Springs Pike.  Fort Springs was a small community were a number of freed slaves located after the Civil War.  The school housed the grades 1 to 6.  The school operated until after the Second World War.

Fort Springs School (No. 15) - a county school located on Versailles Road in western Fayette County.  The school was started around 1873 and closed during the 1910s (with the consolidation of the county schools).

Fort Springs School, a county school, circa 1901   <1901...

Fourth Street School - a city segregated school, located on Fourth Street, which operated from 1883 to 1910.

Garden Springs Elementary School - a county school located at 2151 Garden Springs Drive.  Garden Springs opened during August 1964 and was expanded in 1968.  During 1988, the building was damaged from a fire and reopened in August 1988.[i]

...

George Washington Carver School (Colored School No. 3) - located at 522 Patterson Street, was a segregated city school.  The school was opened in March 1874, in the basement of the Pleasant Green Baptist Church, located at Patterson and Maxwell Streets.  The school was known as the Pleasant Green School (Colored School No. 3).  In 1883, the school board purchased a lot for $900, on Patterson Street, adjacent to...

Glendover Elementary School - a county school located at 710 Glendover Road, in the Glendover subdivision.  In September 1956, the South Limestone School was opened with temporary classrooms along South Limestone, in the Good Shepherd Episcopal Church, Centenary Methodist Church, First Christian Church and Porter Memorial Church.  In September 1957, the first wing of Glendover was opened, followed by the second...

Greendale School (No. 31) - a county school on Spurr Road, near Georgetown Pike.  In 1910, a new consolidated high school was built on the site.  This school consolidated the old Greendale, Cane Run, Tyler and Donerail schools.  In 1917, the first Parents Teachers Association was established in Fayette County.  In 1921, the school was merged with the new Linlee School....

Harrison School (City No. 2) - a city school established in 1849 on West Main Street, near Jefferson.  The school was named after James O. Harrison, a prominent attorney and first superintendent of the Lexington school system.  The building was two-story, with eight classrooms and a teaching principal.    The school used a primary curriculum (grades 1 to 8).  Replaced in 1904, with a new “fireproof” building on...

Hearne School - an early county school, which was closed before 1904.

Hearne School   <1901>

Henry Clay High School - a city school located on Main Street, at the city limits.  In 1927, the school board approved construction of a new high school on Main Street, to meet the overcrowding in the existing high school.  On July 6, 1928, the board adopted the name Henry Clay High School, after the request of the Daughters of the American Revolution.  It was noted as “one of the finest schools in the South.” It...

Jack’s Creek School (No. 26) - a county school located on Jack’s Creek Pike, at Shelby Lane in southern Fayette County.  The school operated from around 1875 to around 1907.

Jack’s Creek School, a county school , circa 1901   <1901>

James Lane Allen Elementary School - a county school located at 1901 Appomattox Road.  The school was constructed on 15 acres in the Gardenside area.  The school named for James Lane Allen, one of Kentucky's foremost 19th century authors.  The school opened on August 28, 1958 (with 20 classrooms) and was renovated in 1986 (with the addition of a new wing)....

Jefferson Davis School (No. 10) - a city school on South Limestone, named after the President of the Confederate States.  The school opened in the fall of 1923 as a joint elementary and junior high schools.  The school contained 23 classrooms, with elementary and junior high students educated on the first and second floor, respectively.  Original enrollment was 650 and costs were $188,937.  The school was partly...

Jessie Clark Middle School - a county school located at 3341 Clays Mill Road.  The school was built in 1963 and named after Jessie McFarland Clark, the first woman elected to the school board in 1948.

 

Jessie Clark Middle School, 2010   <FCPS>

Johnson School (City No. 4) - a city school erected during 1888, on the northwest corner of Limestone and Fourth Street.  The school was located in the second and third wards, in northern Lexington.  The school was named after Mayor Claude W. Johnson.  Mayor Johnson was responsible for a $30,000 school bond issued in 1888.  The school opened in January 1889, with ten classrooms at a cost of $32,000, (the extra $2...

Julia R. Ewan Elementary School - a county school located at 350 Henry Clay Boulevard, in the Fairway neighborhood.  Originally named Kenwick School, after Ken for Kentucky and Wick for Wickliffe (the family that owned the land).   The school opened in 1924, at 134 Sherman Avenue, in a former residence, with 35 students.  The school was relocated to a new building on Henry Clay Boulevard in 1937, funded in part...

Julius Marks Elementary School - located at 3277 Pepperhill Road.  The school opened in 1976.  The school was named for Julius Marks, whose son donated land for the school on Georgetown Road.

Julius Marks Elementary School, 2010   <Ambrose>

Julius Marks Sanatorium

Reminiscing my childhood years 1944-1946

by Edward C. Shaw, Jr.

Our country's involvement during WW2 meant nothing to the little 5 year old boy living with his parents, an older sister, and a baby brother. The year of 1944 seemed no different than the one before as far as he was concerned. He cared only about his neighborhood pre-school playmates and the activities...

Kirklevington School (No. 30) - a county school located on Tates Creek Pike in southern Fayette County.  The school operated for around forty-five years, from 1875 until around 1915.

Kirklevington School, a county school , circa 1901   <1901>

Lafayette High School - a county high school, was located on Reed Lane, in Rosemont Garden Subdivision.  The site was the William A. Leavy’s farm, known as “The Elms.”  Leavy was one of the original members of the city school’s committee.  The school was named for the Marquis de Lafayette, the French general during the American Revolutionary War.  The school received permission from the Marquis de Lafayette...

Lansdowne Elementary School - a city school located at 336 Redding Road, in the Lansdowne Subdivision.  The subdivision was just annexed into the city limit.  The school was opened during September 1966 and renovated in 2000.[i]

...

Leestown Middle School - a county school located on Leestown Road.  The school was opened in 1957 as an elementary school and in 1967 converted to a junior high school.

Leestown Middle School, 2010   <Ambrose>

Lexington High School (City School No. 9) - a city school located on South Limestone, at Fourth Street.  The school replaced the old Morton High School in 1918 (funded from the 1916 bond issue).  In 1928, the school became a junior high school, when the students were transferred to the new Henry Clay High School.

...

Liberty Elementary School - located at 2585 Liberty Road.  The school opened in 2008, to replace Julia R. Ewan Elementary.

Liberty Elementary School, 2010   <Ambrose>

Lincoln School (City School No. 8) - a city school located on West High Street at DeRoode, operated jointly by the Board of Education and Lexington Civic League (as a public school during the day and a settlement school during the evening).  The school was dedicated in November 1912 and named for Abraham Lincoln (the first non-segregated school designated in the South).  The school facilities included shower...

Linlee High School - a county school built in 1927 on Spurr Road, at Georgetown Road, to replace the Greendale School.  The school’s name was a combination of Abraham Lincoln and Robert E. Lee.

The new building incorporated portions of the older Greendale School.  Originally, the school offered grades 1 to 12.  In 1934, the high school students were transferred to Bryan Station High School.  In 1948, the...

Lisle School (No. 12) - a county school located about 6 miles from Lexington, on Georgetown and Lisle Roads in northern Fayette County.  The school operated from around 1875, until around 1910.  Around 1910, a new building was built and operated until the middle of the 1920s.

...

Little Georgetown School - a segregated, county school located on Parkers Mill Pike in western Fayette County, which operated around 1900 to 1920.  Little Georgetown was a small village, which after the Civil War housed a number of freed slaves.

Little Georgetown...

Locust Grove School (No. 19) - located near the Locust Grove Farm, on Ferguson Road and Greenwich Pike in northern Fayette County.  The school was operated by the county, until around 1910, from the later 1870s.

Locust Grove School, circa 1901   <1901>

...

Loradale School (No. 8) - a county school, located on Russell Cave Pike in northern Fayette County.  The school was also known as Old Union School.  The school was closed around 1907.  Loradale was a small village for farm workers on the surrounding horse farms.

Loradale...

Maddoxtown School - a segregated county school on Huffman Mill Road, with grades 1 to 5.  The facility was closed after the Second World War.  Maddoxtown was named after Samuel Maddox, who subdivided the property after the Civil War, for housing of freed slaves.  In 1912, a new schoolhouse was built at Maddoxtown, which had enrollment of 75....

Maple Grove School - another early school, which operated from the 1870s, until around 1910.

Maple Grove School   <1901>

Mary Todd Elementary School - a county school located 551 Parkside Drive, in the former Joyland Amusement Park area.  The school was named for Mary Todd Lincoln (Abraham Lincoln’s wife, who was born and raised in Lexington).  The school was opened in 1958, with an addition constructed in 1960 and completely renovated in 1986.

...

Maxwell Elementary School (City School No. 7) - a city school on Maxwell Street, at Woodland Avenue, opened on September 6, 1904, on land containing Maxwell's Spring.  The school was named for John Maxwell, one of the founders of Lexington.  This location was on the edge of the city limits, in the city’s 5th ward, on newly annexed land.  At the time, the school was surrounded by cornfields.  The school was...

Meadowthorpe Elementary School - a county school located at 1710 Forbes Road, in the Meadowthorpe subdivision.  The school was named after Meadowthorpe Farm, originally a thoroughbred farm owned by distiller James E. Pepper.  The school was built in 1961, with an addition added in 1963 and renovated in 1988.[i]...

Millcreek Elementary School - located at 1212 Reva Ridge Way.  Millcreek was built in 1979.

Mill Creek Elementary School, 2010   <Ambrose>

Morton School (City No. 1) - established in 1834, on the corner of Short and Walnut Streets, as the first public school in Lexington.  In 1836, the school was named after William Morton, a prominent Lexington merchant.  In 1849, the school board replaced the old log structure, with a new two-story facility, with six classrooms on the same site.  The school provided a primary education for students aged eight to...

Complete records of the trust fund are nonexistent, however from city records some fragments can be found, which include:

On May 3, 1838, the city council passed a resolution accepting the Morton School Fund.  The resolution indicated:

“Received of James E. Davis, executor of William Morton, deceased, the sum of seven thousand dollars in cash notes indorsed by said Davis, being an advance upon the...

Mt. Tabor School - a county school located on Mt. Tabor Pike, off Tates Creek Pike.  The school opened around 1875.  The school was closed during the consolidation of the county schools (around 1910).

Mt. Tabor School, circa 1901   <1901>

Muir School (No. 40) - a county school located on Muir Station Road, off Paris Pike in eastern Fayette County.  The school was founded around 1875.  The school was closed around 1915, when the county system was consolidated.

Muir School, circa 1901   <1901>

Northern Elementary School - a county school located at 340 Rookwood Extended.  The school was opened in August 28, 1969, with 22 classrooms and an enrollment of 546.  The school cost $1,030,000.  The school was renovated during 1999.[i]

...

Parker’s Mill School (No. 24) - a county school located on Parker’s Mill Road in southwest Fayette County.  The school began operating around 1886 and closed during the 1910s.  The school was also known as Wolf Run School.

Parker’s Mill School, circa 1901   <1901>...

Pettitt School - believed to be located near the Pettitt Distillery, along Boone Creek, near Athens.

Picadome Elementary School - a school located at 1642 Harrodsburg Road, built in 1976 and renovated during 2000-01.  The site was the prior location of the Little Picadome School.

Picadome Elementary School, 2010   <Ambrose>

Picadome School (No. 20) - a county school built on Harrodsburg Road (near Clays Mill) two miles west of Lexington.  The original school building opened in 1877, on a half-acre tract.  The name "Picadome" was created by using the first two letters of four names (PI from Pickett - State Superintendent of Schools, CA from Cassidy - Fayette County Superintendent, and DO from Douglass and ME from Meyers - two school...

Pricetown School - a segregated county school on Todds Road and Cleveland Pike in eastern Fayette County, for grades 1 to 6.  The facility was closed during 1956.  After the Civil War, the land was developed into freed black housings.  The town was named for Dr. Sanford Price.

That there are, as they believe, about, 1,500 colored children in the city within the school age, and that efforts have been made and are being made by drivers of the leading colored citizens to establish a system of common schools for the education of their children, but having failed for the lack of means, they now appeal to the city for aid.

Your committee have learned from those colored citizens who...

Republican School (No. 13) - a county school located on Clays Mill Road, at Higbee Mill Pike in southwest Fayette County.  The school was in operation from the 1870s, until around 1910.

Republican School, circa 1901   <1901>

Richmond Road School (No. 2) - a county school location on Richmond Road, near the water works.  The school was also known as the Water Works and McDowell School.  The school was in operation from the 1870s, until around 1910.

Rosa Parks Elementary School - located at 1251 Beaumont Centre Lane, in Beaumont Subdivision.  Rosa Parks opened in August 1997 and named after Rosa Parks, civil rights pioneer.

 

Rosa Parks Elementary School, 2010   <Ambrose>

Rose Hill School (No. 14) - formerly McChord School, was a county school near Cleveland Pike.  The school was closed during the consolidations of the 1910s.

Russell Cave School (No. 6) - a county school built prior to 1900 on Russell Cave Pike, as a one-room school on Mt. Brilliant Farm.  The school was named after the famous cave located on the farm.  In 1916, a new school building was built on Russell Cave Pike, near Iron Works Pike, to consolidate the county system’s schools.  The building was destroyed by fire in the spring of 1926, and the students attended...

Russell School (Colored No. 1) - a segregated city school located on Fourth Street and was opened around 1871.  The school was known as the Fourth Street School.  The school was a primary school (grades 1 to 8).  In August 1888, the city school system completed construction on the larger Fourth Street School, near Transylvania University, on Upper and Fifth Streets....

Sandersville Elementary School - located at 3025 Sandersville Road.  Opened in 2008 to replaced Linlee Elementary School.

Sandersville Elementary School, 2010   <Ambrose>

Sandersville School (No. 1) - was the first county school established in the early 1870s, located at the village of Hillenmeyer, on the Sandersville Road.  The school was also known as the Belmont School and  Georgetown Road School.

SCAPA - the School for the Creative and Performing Arts at Bluegrass was established in 1987, for grades 4 to 8, to provide an intensive fine arts instruction.  The school is located in the old Fayette County Board of Education building, on Lafayette’s campus.

Lexington Board of Education

------ Lyle                                1865 - 1869

Richard Marsh                        1869 - 1873

James O. Harrison                   1873 - 1880

John O. Hodges                      1880 - 1888

M. A. Cassidy                         1888 - 1892 / 1903 - 1928

W. Rogers Clay                       1892 - 1903

Guy Whitehead...

Shelby School - a county school located on Shelby Lane, at Jacks Creek Pike in southern Fayette County.  The school was built in 1934 and operated until 1966.

Shelby School, built in 1934

South Elkhorn School - a segregated county school located on Harrodsburg Pike in southwest Fayette County.  The school was closed during the 1920s.

South Elkhorn School, a segregated county school, circa 1901   <1901>

South Elkhorn School (No. 9) - a county school located on Harrodsburg Pike in southwest Fayette County.  This school was closed around 1915.

South Elkhorn School, circa 1901   <1901>

...

Southern Elementary School - located at 340 Wilson Downing Road.  Southern opened on August 28, 1969, with 876 students in 32 classrooms.  The building cost $875,308.[i]

...

Southern Middle School - a county school located at 400 Wilson Downing Road.  Southern was built in 1966, to relieve the overcrowding in south Lexington.

Southside Technical Center - located 1800 Harrodsburg Pike (the site of the old Picadome High School), provides vocational and technical education for students from Fayette, Jessamine, Scott and Woodford Counties.  Classes include carpentry, electricity, masonry, computers, electronics, electronics manufacturing, welding, culinary arts, nurse's aide and medical sciences.

...

Squires Elementary School - located at 3337 Squire Oak Drive.  Squires opened in August 1988.

Stonewall Elementary School - a county school located at 3215 Cornwall Drive, in the Stonewall Subdivision.  The school opened in 1961, with additions built in 1963 and 1965.  The entire facility was renovated during 1988-1989. It is currently under renovation.

...

Tates Creek Elementary School - a county school located at 1113 Centre Parkway, opened in September 1963 as part of a three-school complex in the Gainesway Subdivision.  The school had 33 classrooms.  The school was renovated in 1988.[i]

...

Tates Creek High School - a county school located at 1111 Centre Parkway, adjacent to Tates Creek Elementary.  Built in 1965 and renovated in 1993.

Tates Creek High School, 2010   <Ambrose>

Tates Creek Middle School - a county school located at 400 Wilson Downing Road, adjacent to Tates Creek Elementary and High Schools.  The school was built in 1966 (to relieve overcrowding in other school in southern Fayette County) and during 1996-97 extensive renovations were completed.

...

Tyler School (No. 21) - closed during 1910, when the new Greendale School opened.

Tyler School, with teacher Charlotte Pilcher and Superintendent M.A. Cassidy, circa 1900   <Faulconer>

Uttingertown School - a segregated county school, located on Royster Pike, off Winchester Pike in southern Fayette County.  The school offered grades 1 to 5.  The school was built around 1873 and closed in 1952.  The school was named for Samuel L. Uttinger, who developed housing for freed slaves after the Civil War.

...

Veterans Park Elementary School - located at 4351 Clearwater Way, opened in August 1997.  The facility is located on the south side of Lexington, in Veterans Park.

Veterans Park Elementary School, 2010   <Ambrose>

Walnut Hill School (No. 25) - a county school located on Richmond Road, at Walnut Hill Pike in southern Fayette County.  The school was also known as the Fairview School.  The school operated until around the late 1940s.

Walnut Hill School, circa 1901   <1901>

...

Warfield School (No. 17) - believed named after the Warfield Farm, also known as The Meadows, located just northeast of Lexington (along Bryan Pike, now Avenue). The school was in operation from the 1870s, until around 1910.

Warfield School   <1901>

Wellington Elementary School – was opened during July 2011 at 3280 Keithshire Way, on the south side of Lexington.

Whitsett School - the school was in operation from the 1870s, until around 1910.

Whitsett School   <1901>

William Wells Brown Elementary School - located at 555 East Fifth Street, opened in 2008, to replace the old Johnson and Russell Elementary Schools.  The school was named in honor of Lexington born William Wells Brown, the first African-American to publish a novel, a play, a travel book, a book-length historical account of the Civil War, a military study and a study of African-American sociology.  A practicing...

Winburn Middle School - located at 1060 Winburn Drive.  Winburn was built in 1970, on J. Winston Coleman’s Winburn Farm in northern Fayette County.

Winburn Middle School, 2010   <Ambrose>

Yates Elementary School - a county school opened in September 1954 on New Circle Road in eastern Fayette County.  The school was named for Dr. Earl Yates, a member of the School Board.  The curriculum included kindergarten to sixth grades.  The school had an enrollment of 600 at opening.  The facility contained 20 classrooms.  Yates was renovated in 1984....

X

Enter your e-mail address.

Enter the password that accompanies your e-mail.

Loading